As a Senior Backend Engineer, you will be working on developing best in class software products for our travel marketplace. Currently, we are in a strong growth phase and are working on building world-class travel e-commerce products to help us scale and serve millions of customers. If you are interested in contributing to the success of a web platform that is used by millions of travelers around the world then keep on reading!
Search & Discovery owns the Search customer journey and its systems of GetYourGuide. We build reliable and highly scalable systems with the goal of enabling our customers to find the activities they love.
We are organized as a cross-functional team composed of frontend, backend, and data engineers, along with product managers and designers.
- Design and develop scalable travel e-commerce systems that are used by millions of customers.
- Build and maintain our core search engine powering a large number of use cases
- Mentor other team members and be involved in hiring software engineers
- Work in a cross-functional mission team with engineers, product managers, designers and data specialists
- Continuously improve our codebase, systems, and processes
- A strong background in the design and implementation of scalable, resilient, service-oriented architectures, and a good understanding of design patterns (experience in migrating a monolithic application to a services-oriented architecture is a plus)
- Experience with building event based architectures based on Kafka
- Strong Elasticsearch (or similar) experience in an e-commerce environment
- A passion for search relevance based on classic Information Retrieval and Learning to Rank
- Proficiency in Java and the ability to build features from scratch (PHP knowledge a plus)
- Experience in defining and tracking data to facilitate customer-centric decision makings, such as through A/B testing and hypothesis building
- A positive, pro-active team-oriented mindset, and a passion for mentoring and sharing knowledge
- A passion for delivering clean code and continuously learning about new tools, languages, and practices
- Experience on how to operate at scale and have a cloud DevOps / infrastructure mindset (Kubernetes)
- A modern infrastructure (AWS, Kubernetes, Istio, Kafka) and a good DevOps mentality (you build it you own it)
- Solid engineering principles. Check them out here
- To work on creating memorable travel experiences for millions of travelers. Find out more about our KPIs here
- Smart and engaged co-workers - Take a look at our team video
- Work on a product that helps create memorable travel experiences
- Smart, engaged co-workers
- Speak English in the office with people from over 70 nationalities
- Virtual stock options - be part of our success story
- Quarterly Hackathons and weekly tech talks
- GetYourGuide gift cards
- Relocation Assistance (varies by role/level)
It is our commitment that every qualified person will be evaluated according to skills regardless of age, gender identity, ethnicity, sexual orientation, disability status, or religion. Please refrain from including your picture and age with the application.
You can get in touch with us via firstname.lastname@example.org, and make sure you check out life at GetYourGuide on our blog.